Thursday, January 10, 2008

Try it... menu planning!

We get the Denver Post for one reason: Sunday Coupons! It's exciting to open the paper to count how many coupon books are there and so fun to go through them. Most of them are dog treats and various Pillsbury products which can be frustrating. But it is fun to cut out coupons for things we need, things we haven't had in a while, and new things (like Chocolate Chex which is my new favorite cereal/anytime treat).

The other thing I love about Sundays: every two weeks I plan our menu. Nothing is more annoying than having to ask "What should we have for dinner... ugh!" Just ask Elise. So I decided to plan dinner two weeks at a time. I use a mouse pad/calendar I got at my old job. Once it runs out of months, I'll probably use a cheap little calendar.

As you can see, there are changes from the past weeks. My brother Andy asked me about this when I told him about our two week plan. He said, sarcastically, something like, "What if you want something other than what you have planned for that night?" Well, we have something else like an old standby or something else planned for a future day.







I get ideas for menus from my box of recipes that I collect from family, old magazines, and cookbooks. I keep a grocery list handy to write down all the ingredients I don't have. Today I went to the grocery store and bought everything on the list. I think Abby and I spent like a hour and a half or more there. It takes a while to get everything on the list, organize coupons, and make sure Abby is entertained at the same time.






But it's worth it! I have a fridge full of food, cupboards full of new ingredients I've never tried before (like Panko for Ina Garten's Asian salmon we're having soon(I'm going to make the full Going, Going, Gone menu!)).




So, tonight we're having Buffalo Chicken and blue cheese salads from a January Real Simple magazine I got for free last year from a giveaway box at CSU. Check my recipe blog Culinary Collie Sue for the recipe tomorrow...

4 comments:

The Myers Family said...

Yep, that really is the way to go! I haven't done it in a while but plan to when life is more stable in our family. Way to go, and thanks for the great menu ideas, Em!

Anonymous said...

I plan our meals by asking, "Trio, Mazza, or Cafe Rio tonight, Gary?"
Back in the days of the dinosaurs, I used to be organized like that. But with just the two of us now, I get really lazy. I need to get back in the habit. Thanks for the inspiration!

Elise said...

What a great idea! You should do an Enrichment or something-- you're really organized about it. Sometimes I'm good about planning meals, other times not so much. I'm certainly inspired to do better though-- and I LOVE the recipe blog!

becca said...

Will you send me your menu plan and recipes every two weeks? I have wanted to do something like that since I got married, and 4 years later I am yet to try it. I am just not organized enough! It would sure make grocery shopping and dinner time go a lot more smoothly! You have inspired me!