Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Kirtland

Chris invited us to take a tour of church history sites last Sunday. He was training for his new job in Pennsylvania for two weeks and had the weekend off. I was really excited to see him and to see some of the things he talks about when remembering his mission there. First was the rolling hills of Ohio that were beautiful and nausiating at the same time. I am thankful I don't get car sick easily.

We went to sacrament meeting at a chapel in Hirum OH on Sunday morning. Chris got to experience Hunter's big, friendly smile and share stale Kix with Abby. After the meeting we walked to the Johnson Family Farm nearby. I envied the large kitchen and pantry. A very small room next to the kitchen was the warmest room in the house and served as a birthing room. An interesting historic fact to note: the number two cause of death for women during this time was an infection following severe burns while cooking. The moveable arm that holds pots over the fire was called a "wife saver." The number one cause of death was childbirth complications.

The Johnson's gave up their master suite so that Joseph Smith could study, translate the bible, and receive revelations. We all enjoyed the spirit that was there, and I was especially moved hearing Chris read Joseph's testimony in that room. Finally we stood on the Johnson's front steps where Joseph gave a morning sermon after being tarred and feathered the night before. He had been in the front room with the one Murdock twin.

We ate at a diner with home-y pie for dessert before driving up to Kirtland where we toured the temple. The Community of Christ owns and gives the tours of the temple, so even though some most miraculous visitations occurred providing priceless keys back to the Earth inside it, I wasn't able to feel the same strong feelings of the spirit in the Kirtland temple.

Our last stop was the Kirtland Visitors Center that is owned by the LDS church. The ashery and Newell K. Whitney store were some awesome sites.

Chris had told me how excited he was to share these places with his family, and he said that the room used for the School of The Prophets in the Whitney Store was his favorite place on earth. By the time we got to the visitors' center, Hunter was asleep in his huge car seat stroller and Abby was exhausted from hearing over and over, "Shhhh," "Those are old and very special, don't touch anything!" "Hurry and get back in your carseat," "Stop that," "We're almost there." She was being a very good two year old considering the circumstances, but she wasn't in the position to go inside the store. All she wanted to do was spread out on the grass. I was hesitant to accept Chris' offer of walking outside with the kids while Jon and I continued with the tour to the School of the Prophets. That would mean Chris wouldn't be able to go inside since you could only go when accompanied by a tour guide. But he insisted. I will never forget the feelings there and my brother's loving gesture. Luckily, the Elder was more than willing to go back in with Chris so he could visit his favorite place again.

A field of wildflowers surrounds the ashery. Ida, Jon's mom, would have loved it. That's where Abby and I spent most of our time while the rest of the group listened to the stories about the mill and ashery. Even though I missed most of the explanation, I could still appreciate the law of consecration that was followed by the early Saints. Jon and I marvel at the hardships they encountered, especially Joseph Smith's. The trials we face seem so trivial compared to theirs, and that gives us hope.

Throughout the trip we listened to two albums while riding in the car. The Tabernacle Choir's "Praise to the Man" that my mom gave me recently and Jon Schmidt's "A Walk in the Woods," my first ever cd that Chris sent me for Christmas during his first year on his mission. Both were very appropriate and recommended while driving through misty green farmlands.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Em, for that beautiful post. It was hard to see the detail in some of the pictures because my eyes were full of tears. I am so thankful for the sacrifice and testimony of Joseph Smith. I am equally thankful for the strong bond my children share with each other. That photo of Abby smiling for you looks exactly like you. Wow. Thanks again. I love you!

Kat said...

I wish I would have known you were coming. We live 15 minutes from Kirtland. I would have come out to see you. I am glad you enjoyed it. It is such a neat experience. Your kids are beautiful.

Julie said...

Awww, we would have come to see you too! I love visiting Kirtland. I love to feel the Spirit of the pioneers and hear about what they had to go through to bring us the gospel today. Glad you had such a great time.

Amanda and Andy Hansen said...

Visiting church history sites is such a great testimony builder. Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you had a good time and got to see Chris.

Heidi said...

I love the new blog design and the cute sidebar pictures, Em! As for this post, it made me want to get the CD and to visit Kirtland someday. It was a very moving slideshow. I'm glad you got to meet up with Chris. He is a cute brother and uncle, isn't he?

Maren said...

Can I come eat stale Kix with Abby?
This looked like such a neat trip. Thanks for posting all the pictures, I didn't know there was so much to see there. Glad Hunter drove you home safely.

If There Is Anything... said...

That was awesome! Thank you.